College of Staten Island (CUNY)

| 0

College Profile

CSI is the only CUNY College on Staten Island. It offers an unusual opportunity: to experience life in New York City while studying on a large and beautiful 204-acre campus, completed in 1994, with state-of-the art classrooms, laboratories, a library, and superb galleries, theaters, and sports facilities. CSI enrolls approximately 14,000 students and employs approximately 800 full-time and part time faculty. It is what Americans call a “comprehensive” institution—that is, it offers general education in the liberal arts and sciences and professional studies, master’s programs in selected fields of study, and, in conjunction with the CUNY Graduate Center, several doctoral programs.

CSI has an exceptionally well qualified faculty, committed to both research and teaching: they create and transmit knowledge and gladly mentor students majoring in their disciplines. CSI is also a leader in international education and the study of English as a second language.

CSI is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, an accreditation recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Commission on Recognition of Postsecondary Accreditation. In addition individual professional programs are accredited by their national associations.Computer Science, for example, is accredited by the Computing Sciences Accreditation Board, Engineering by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), and Nursing by the National League for Nursing.

CSI combines the best features of the U.S. system with special support and personal attention for international students from the day they inquire about admission until the day they graduate, diploma in hand. The Center for International Service is here to make their transition to college life in the U.S. as smooth as possible, to enable them to compete successfully in a different academic system, and to return home satisfied with both their education and their extracurricular experiences at CSI.

The Center provides special advising, both academic and personal. It conducts orientations prior to each semester to help students understand the U.S. academic system. It identifies resources and support services on campus and off, and advises on immigration and other legal issues. It oversees student activities such as the International Student Association. It also manages international programs for CSI and administers study abroad programs and faculty exchanges.

In addition, it oversees the English Language Institute (ELI).

English as a Second Language Program and Services

Does your institution have an Intensive English Program?
Yes, The ELI provides intensive instruction in English at every skill level and prepares students to complete successfully in the U.S. academic environment. Its programs include extracurricular activities that enable students to explore New York City. For more information visit:

Can your institution issue an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for F-1 Student Status to a student who has been admitted only to the Intensive English Program?
Yes, Our Center for International Service provides services for students and scholars from countries outside the U.S. In addition to processing all required immigration documentation, they provided an extensive orientation, ongoing advisement and assistance to students and scholars in on-and off-campus adjustment.

Does your institution provide courses of English as a Second Language to admitted students?
Yes, All students are required to take CUNY Assessment Tests in Reading, Writing and Mathematics for placement purposes. We offer specially designed courses in reading and writing for non-native speakers of English who fail the CUNY Assessment Test in Reading and/or the CUNY Assessment Test in Writing.

English Proficiency Requirement: TOEFL or IELTS

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – minimum scores are 45 internet-based for undergraduate admissions and 79-80 for graduate admissions. Graduate programs in business and mental health counseling require a 100.

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – We will only accept the academic exam scores of 5 (overall band) for undergraduate admissions and 6.5 for graduate admissions. Graduate programs in business and mental health counseling require a 7.

International Student Housing Options

Is on-campus housing available for international students?
Brand new on-campus housing will be available beginning August 2013 for the Fall 2013 semester.
For more information, visit

Collaborative programs

A listing of our programs can be found at

First Year, Transfer, and Graduate Students

Admission to our various undergraduate programs and levels is based upon the academic background of the applicant at the secondary level and post-secondary level (if applicable). In addition, all applicants from non-English speaking countries must satisfy the English proficiency requirement.

Admissions requirements for graduate studies vary by program. You may visit
for the specific admission requirements for your program of interest.

Visa Information

Does your institution issue I-20 for F-1 visa status and/or DS-2019 for J-1 visa status?

Cost of Attendance and Financial Assistance for International Students

Full-Time: $23,330
Per credit charge: $776
Fees: $808

Financial Aid

Is financial aid available for international students?
Yes. Students with strong academic records may qualify for financial assistance in the form of tuition scholarships through the Macaulay Honors College. In addition, on campus employment may be available for both undergraduate and graduate students, and some graduate departments offer teaching or research assistantships. The number of awards is limited. Since applications are reviewed on a first-come, first served basis, we urge you to apply early for consideration.

Another promising source of scholarship funds for undergraduate and graduate students from abroad is usually their own governments and agencies funding education in their own countries. For information, contact your Ministry of Education or go to for the nearest Overseas Advising Center for United States Higher Education.